A selection of photos by Wouter Hogendorp a.k.a. wouter and canon
A man who wasn’t there (2010)
Viking ship (2009)
Vertical light (2009)
A beautiful day (2010)
A hole in the wall (2011)
Museum Insel Hombroich (2010)
– Hello, Wouter. How would you describe this set of images?
– This set of images shows my love for the light, the ‘colour’ white and minimal forms. Most of the photos are taken in museums, which are wonderful places for this kind of photography.
– As a photographer, what do you find interesting about urban environments and architecture?
– I love an urban environment when it contains striking and inspiring buildings and objects. Architecture is inspiring because of its combination of functionality and beauty. Sometimes the architecture is (very close to) great art.
– What usually attracts your visual attention?
– Simple architectural details with subtle shapes. Most of the time it is the interior of a building with a minimalistic and white design where the light, shapes and ‘colours’ are often so subtle.
– Which other photographic styles do you like besides architectural and urban photography?
– I also like to photograph musicians, because they are used to be photographed on stage.
– What motivates you to be busy with photography?
– I want to document the beauty of architectural details. By framing those details, they get a more artistic ‘meaning’, a meaning in itself. I want to share that beauty with other people. So mostly I just want to say with my photography:’Look, this is the beauty!’ and sometimes I whisper: ‘Look, this is me’.
– What is your goal as a photographer?
– To have an exhibition of my best works, one day in a far future.
– Do you have a ‘dream location’ where you would like to take photos?
– I already found my dream location: Die Neue Pinakothek in Munich, it has the most beautiful interior I have ever seen.
– Which city would you like to visit for a photo session?
– Shanghai. I want to go there in the spring of 2012.
– What is your favorite camera?
– My favorite camera does not excist (yet). I want a light, small and affordable camera with all the manual functions and a zoomlens 28-300mm. No chromatic abboration, vignetting or distortion. I keep dreaming about it and in a meanwhile I enjoy working with my Canon EOS 7D and Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3.
– Did you publish any photo books and where do you expose your works on internet?
– Alan Wilson published some photos in his book Hypo – X – series. Pannaphotos made a gallery with my works. This year I will publish a book on Blurb with my favourite ‘white’ photos.
– Thank you, Wouter. I am looking forward to see your photo book, all the best with your photography.