A selection of photos from Paolo Cagliero a.k.a. louisdead
Sliced by highway
Waiting for the final
– Hello, Paolo. How would you describe this set of images?
– Thanks Brancolina, interesting selection, now I’ve got something to learn from my own shots!
I’m usually very careful about geometric composition. And these pictures are very geometric, but with an element that brakes the rigid composition: a car, an architectonic cut, a broken tile, a pair of shoes… These details give me an ironic sense of failure, as if we were declaring our imperfection. All these pictures should have the following caption: "we can’t be perfect".
– As a photographer, what do you find interesting about urban environments and architecture? What attracts your visual attention?
– When I think about the urban environment, I immediately think about people living there, even if in my photographies you will rarely see human beings. Everything but a non-sense.
I studied architecture but I’m not interested in architecture in itself. In an empty square I try to catch the empty, not the square. Or at least, its geometric skeleton.
– Which other photographic styles do you like besides architectural and urban photography?
– It’s hard for me to choose between a great minimal landscape and a great reportage portrait. I admire who can do both (not me).
Anyway it’s easier to say what I don’t like. I’m not interested in photographies overcome by technology in general (Photoshop, HDR, HiDef Macro, mega photography studio set, etc…)
– What motivates you to be busy with photography, what is your goal as a photographer?
– For me it’s just like a psychotherapy, but cheaper!
It really helps me to survive the chaos of ugly architectures all around me.
Taking shots is a way to find a formal beauty in everything, even in the ugliest one. It’s often like a game where I try to catch basic geometric shapes in the real world, or a strict geometric composition, or fake collisions between objects, ect. These are all methods used to organize disordered things, me first.
– Do you have a ‘dream location’ where you would like to take photos? Which city would you like to visit for a photo session?
– Not one in particular. Every city, even the smallest, can hide a precious treasure. And after all I don’t care about the main architectural landmarks, photographically speaking.
– What is your favorite camera?
– I’m not a camera fetish, I care more about the photo than the medium. Now I’m using a consumer reflex Canon, but I’d like to turn back to analogic and get a medium format like a Rolleiflex. Just to stop cropping to get a square format :-), my loved one.
– Did your photos get published in any photo/art-books or magazines and where do you expose your works on internet (website, blog …)?
– My photos have been published only on the internet.
Apart from my Flickr account and Five Minutes Monsters (another photographic project I’m gonna start these days), some of them are on sale on GettyImages, others are published on some blogs like Mykriteek (here and here), Troppotardi (here and here), State Elements, Shambola, Italian Casual and Quidanoi. That’s all, as far as I know.
I’d like to thank you once again for hosting me on this amazing blog.