Selection of photos from Rita Vita Finzi
A walk on the roof
– Hello, Rita. How would you describe this set of images?
– I am smiling looking at your selection, because the most of the pics you have chosen have been taken in Berlin, that is not only a city I love so much, but also one of my favorite location – so, thank you. Only Lamps is ‘Italian’, due to the courtesy of a friend of mine, who was driving and kindly stopped the car hearing me crying ‘stop-stop-stop, please!’ (!!!):). I think composition, contrasts, monochrome graphic effect is what keep them together.
– As a photographer, what do you find interesting about urban environments and Architecture? What attracts your visual attention?
– “Architecture is music in space” – well, I think this F.W.J.von Schelling’s quote can represent what I feel for architecture and the reason why I love it. Therefore, I am trying to “catch” this music – details, play of lines and surfaces, reflections, rhythm, repetitions, this is what attracts my visual attention. And, above all: the light!
– Which other photographic styles do you like besides architectural and urban photography?
– I love many subjects, but nature is one of my favorite, in particular flowers and leaves: play of colours and shapes, tiny details and even that kind of exquisite “design” (yes, you can find a sort of very different “architecture” there). More than this: sea.
– What motivates you to be busy with photography, what is your goal as a photographer?
– I consider my camera a kind of “brush” that allows me to “paint” what I see all around me, and sometimes what I feel. This gives me a lot, and motivate me. My goals? To improve, of course – not just in a technical way (even if I should have still so much to learn), but more in terms of creativity and inspiration.
– Do you have a ‘dream location’ where you would like to take photos? Which city would you like to visit for a photo session?
– I wouldn’t talk about a city, but about architects: Calatrava and Gehry, wherever they are!
– What is your favorite camera?
– I have started by chance with a Canon and I find it excellent. At the moment I’m working with a Canon 40D, but I’m dreaming about the EOS 5D Mark II.
– Did you publish any photo books and where do you expose your works on internet?
– Yes, I do. I have published a few books on Blurb: Natural/mente (June 2008), La Memoria del Segno (September 2008) in collaboration with Susanna Bassani, Alberta Dionisi, Claudio Mori and Stefano Sivieri, Abstractions ( November 2008), And that is poetry (January 2010), Berlin (January 2010) and the latest one Peonies Pavillon, that is published in April 2011. On the internet you can find my photographs on Flickr and RedBubble. I also have a channel on YouTube, where I have uploaded 3 video-slideshows with my works.
-Thank you, Rita. I wish you all the best with your photographic work.
note from 20 July 2011: Rita’s website is ritavitafinzi.com