Selection of photos from galaad
Perfection et chimères (2010)
“Il y a assez de lumière pour ceux qui ne désirent que de voir, et assez d’obscurité pour ceux qui ont une disposition contraire.” Blaise Pascal
♪ Ravel ♪
Le monde aurait pu être simple comme le ciel et la mer … (2010)
“Ah ! Il y a tant de choses entre le ciel et la terre que les poètes sont seuls à avoir rêvées.”
♪ Antonín Dvořák ♪
Sortir des limites (2010)
“A mon avis, vous ne pouvez pas dire que vous avez vu quelque chose à fond si vous n’en avez pas pris une photographie.” Emile Zola
♪ Mozart ♪
Les vagues de la liberté (2011)
“Sous les vagues, la mer est dressée, on dirait qu’elle est au ciel, Qu’elle touche et arrose les nuages qui couvrent tout.” Ovide
♪ Tchaikovsky ♪
Silence … on travaille (2009)
“L’architecture est une sorte d’oratoire de la puissance au moyen de formes.” Friedrich Nietzsche
♪ Maria Callas ♪
La nuit transforme les vagues (2011)
“Les vagues sont peu de choses au regard de l’océan.” Claude Lelouch
♪ Été Canadien ♪
Reflets en turbulence (2011)
“Et dans la tempête et le bruit la clarté reparaît grandie …” Victor Hugo
♪ Barcelona ♪
– Hello, Julian. How would you describe this set of images?
– I love this selection of pictures, because they represent everything I like in the pictures: shapes, movement and another look at the objects of everyday life. I’m pretty happy with the contrast of light and I always try to have a small corner of blue paradise on my pictures.
– As a photographer, what do you find interesting about urban environments and architecture? What attracts your visual attention?
– I think that two quotations from Le Corbusier guide my work:”Architecture is the learned game, correct and magnificent, of forms assembled in the light” and “Space and light and order. Those are the things that men need just as much as they need bread or a place to sleep.” I need light to take pictures, I need great shapes and order … after all I’m an architect.
– Which other photographic styles do you like besides architectural and urban photography?
– I love sculptures, urban sculptures, little sculptures … I’m fascinated by the sensuality of sculpture. I love to walk around the object and check every detail, to observe it as the light changes, discover other shapes, other textures, it’s really a wonderful world.
– What motivates you to be busy with photography, what is your goal as a photographer?
– My goal as a photographer is the discovery of an entire object: architectural and sculptural. To have a different vision of what we see every day. When I walk into town, I always look to the sky, the blue color fascinates me. I like taking my time during a visit to a museum or a new building, have the time to ‘tame’ the objects.
– Do you have a ‘dream location’ where you would like to take photos? Which city would you like to visit for a photo session?
– A dream ? yes I do, a big one, a country … Finland. Why ? Alvar Aalto’s work. My ultimate reference in architecture, the undisputed master.
A city ? Not really a city, maybe some ‘objets’: Frank Gehry’s Guggenheim museum in Bilbao and Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles, Zaha Hadid’s MAXXI in Rome, Villa Adriana in Tivoli near Rome and all the giant sculptures of Henry Moore in the world …
– What is your favorite camera?
– I’ve always worked with Canon – a very good PowerShot SX10 IS – and now I have the camera of my dreams: 5D Mark II with a perfect zoom EF 100-400 mm.
– Did you publish any photo books and where do you expose your works on internet?
– I publish my images mainly on Flickr and recently on Facebook. I have not published a photo-book yet, but I’m working on my first one.
My works are published in Y sin embargo #21 magazine by Fernando Prats and in the photo-books Hypo-X-series by Azurebumble and Shadé in collaboration with you.
– Thank you, Julian and all the best with your photographic work.