More photos: polah2006
– Hello, Leonie. How would you describe this set of images?
– I made this series during the renovation of a restaurant around the corner. It turned from being an Indonesian restaurant in browns into a general Asian place with lots of black and red. When the sun was shining I fell for the colours. Nearly every day I took some pictures untill they were ready. Then I made a selection.
– As a photographer, what do you find interesting about urban environments and architecture? what attracts your visual attention?
– I am a city person. I suppose my interest lies in the geometrical forms, although that is not strictly true because I am never tempted to photograph old buildings, which have abundant geometrical forms. Maybe it is because modern architecture seems to be empty, while you know it is teeming with life behind its facade. The same applies to many of my other urban scenes, but then vice versa. I like it when there are only remains of human life. The people are gone, they left traces of their existence.
In that sense this series is a bit different from my usual work, because some of the images have people in it.
– Which other photographic styles do you like besides architectural and urban photography?
– I like many styles of photographing, but in general I want some form in it. Whether it is geometrical, abstract, the natural form of flowers, or just light, doesn’t matter to me. The present trend of blurry images is not for me. Apparantly I need a focal point. Of course as always, there are exceptions.
– What motivates you to be busy with photography, what is your goal as a photographer?
– With my background of painting and sculpture, one could say that the visual arts are my main interest. At the present there is nothing I like more than making and editing photographic images. My aim is being the best photographer/visual artist I could be within the limits of my talent and financial resources.
– Do you have a ‘dream location’ where you would like to take photos? which city would you like to visit for a photo session?
– I would love to photograph the demolition or construction of a building up close. If I could choose a ‘dream location’ it would be a city. Hong Kong (Michael Wolf made his wonderful series ‘Architecture of Density’ there), New York, Beijing. But as dreams go, the reality is different and my experience is that there is a great gap between what images are good in reality and which are going to be good in your imagination.
– What is your favorite camera?
– I have a Canon Eos D1000 with a 18-200mm objective and a Nikon D70 with AF-S nikkor 18-70 mm objective. I would like to have a zoom lens for the Nikon.
– Did you publish any photo books and where do you expose your works on internet?
– I publish my images mainly on flickr. I have not published a photobook myself, except on issuu.com, but that attempt is more directed at design. However, on the ISSUU page you will find some magazines and books where my images were published: issuu.com/polah2006
The photo-book Hypo-X-series by Azurbumble (Alan Wilson)
The photo book Haphazart2 of the Haphazart Contemporary Abstract Group.
Louise Image’s Plateful Magazine issue 9:
An article by Gary Sauer-Thompson on e-zine Altfotonet:
– Thank you, Leonie and all the best with your photographic work.